Friday 30 August 2013

Frustration

Hello there! It's 2 AM here and I can't find myself sleeping so here I am. As you have read on my Five Months Development post, I am still having a hard time putting Baby K to sleep. Tonight wasn't as bad as yesterday but it is still hard. I know she's sleepy and I have made sure that she's fed and has clean nappy but she just doesn't want to go to sleep. I tried doing the "crying out" method last night to see if it will work but I just feel bad. Everyone came running to the room asking if something has happened. I felt horrible doing that and it looks like everyone thinks I'm mad for doing that. I just can't see how else she's going to learn to self settle. She always wants me to nurse her to sleep which sometimes takes a long time. I love nursing her, but she doesn't want me to let go sometimes. 

There's always a time that she's happily playing then decides to cry for no reason. Maybe her gums would be sore but other than that, nothing else. I am tired of carrying her from time to time because she'll get used to it and I'll end up doing nothing around the house. It's not bad to let your baby cry sometimes, right? I mean, if they don't really need anything. Sometimes, I will just move her to her play mat so she'll have more space to move around which helps but doesn't really last long. 

I think I am such a horrible parent for letting her cry and everyone is making me feel that way. I just don't know why they don't understand that she needs it too so she won't have the luxury of being carried everywhere. Have you had this experience with your little one? I really need help and tips on how to handle this. Also, how did you teach your baby to self settle? I will really appreciate all your comments. 

post signature

7 comments:

  1. When my baby (Dylan) is fed and changed and has no reason to cry other than being bored or needy, I let him cry in ten minute increments. Anything beyond ten minutes stresses both the baby and myself too much but it's definitely okay. I have a nightly ritual I do with Dylan every night so he knows it is bedtime. I turn off almost all the lights, change him, massage him with lotion, feed him then swaddle him up. I don't talk to him during our ritual and if he cries when I put him to bed I let him be. He sleeps 10 hours solid each night but sometimes due to teething will wake up. I don't turn on any lights in the middle of the night, I simply pick him up without talking to him, feed him, swaddle him back up and put him to bed. As long as you get a pattern going your little girl will learn. Don't feel guilty or let anyone guilt you into picking up the baby. You know best and you know when she's crying because she needs you and crying because she wants you, there is a difference. Good luck girlie it sounds like you're doing great and are a very attentive mommy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your advice! Everything is just new to me and leaving her cry seems to be so cruel but I can't do anything if she doesn't need anything other than being clingy. Hope you're having a good week. xx

      Delete
  2. I let Madison cry. As long as she was fed and not dirty it was ok to let her cry for a few minutes. I picked her up a lot too but there were times when it wasn't possible. She just might be teething and is extra cranky right now. If you've done all you can and nothing seems to help then letting her cry is ok. It doesn't make you a bad mom. You'll both be ok. Sending some weekend hugs your way. ((hugs))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think so too. It's that time when she's starting teething. She's been crying at night too and I will just cuddle with her until she falls asleep. Thank you very much! Hugs to you and Madison!

      Delete
  3. Hi there! I know how tough it is to get little ones to sleep. I have 4, and all of them have been super needy at night. There is a great book called The No-Cry Sleep Solution, which a lot of moms LOVE. I'm not a fan of crying it out, especially for little ones, but we all have our moments! Are you nursing her to sleep, then lowering her into a crib? Sometimes that movement can startle them awake. This is going to sound weird, and you may need a step stool, but I've tried it and it works. Nurse her to sleep and leave her latched on as you lower her into the crib. She will probably wake a little bit and go right back to sleep. You may need to stay leaned over for a couple of minutes, still nursing, but once she settles, unlatch her and and see if she stays asleep. Stopping by from Bloggy Moms.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never heard of that but I will be testing that out tonight. I am prepared to try out new techniques as long as I can get her to sleep. I will check that book too. Thank you so much!

      Delete
  4. I remember this stage and we didn't force the crying out method until my son was about a year old. I breastfed and found that he still wanted the snuggles that came with a late night feeding. If she is 6 months, it is possible that she is going through a growth spurt, teething, or both. I promise this time will pass and you will look back and miss these moments.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...